Let us not look at our own understanding of tough times and loose faith. Let us not look at this increasingly hostile world and loose hope. Trusting God in hard times full of uncertainty is easier said than done, I know! As one who has struggled with a spirit of fear and anxiety most of my adult life, I hold tightly to God’s word…
I have said these things to you, That in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.John 16:33
Amen! He has overcome!
It is so difficult to watch the news today or spend five minutes on social media without feeling angry, sad, fearful, and overwhelmed with the state of our world.
It would be easier to be like the ostrich and bury our heads in the sand at the first sign of bad things coming and pretend like nothing is happening.
I’m writing this as a reminder for myself, but also with hope of encouraging, even if it’s just one other person.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I make a small commission at no extra cost to you. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Trusting God In Times Of Uncertainty
7 Things We Can Do Daily:
- PRAY unceasingly. Prayer is a lifeline to our Lord God. There is not a need we will face or a world event that God doesn’t already know of. We need to remember our God is sovereign. There is nothing too big or too small that escapes His notice and control. Our responsibility is to pray and believe God will answer our prayers. He will not always answer the way we want or expect, but He is always listening like a loving father listens to his children. The power of prayer is essential to the christian life!
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6-7
- READ THE WORD OF GOD. Trusting God in times of trouble becomes easier when we have a personal relationship with Him. One of the best ways to get to know Him is by reading His word. Think of the bible as the greatest love story ever told, a collection of personal letters He wrote for YOU! This is where you meet God the father and creator of the universe. Where you meet Christ Jesus, the only begotten son of God, our Savior who took our place on the cross and paid the ransom for our lives.
All scripture is God breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work. 2 Timothy 3:16
We will find peace in the bible because regardless of what is going on in our lives or how crazy the world around us might seem, we know how it all ends. God, the good guys win!
It doesn’t mean there won’t be hardships and times of trouble, but it does mean we can have the peace of God knowing it is ALL in His more than capable hands. He is our strong tower and present help. He will calm your anxious thoughts in the midst of overwhelming times because He loves you.
Dive into the bible and read what our Heavenly Father has to say to you today.
For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart. Hebrews 4:12
- BUILD UP YOUR RELATIONSHIPS with family, friends, and neighbors. Now more than ever we need to be there for one another. Don’t turn on your neighbor. Show LOVE to everyone you encounter, show compassion and grace, treating others as the children of God they are. Creating and nurturing community. Perfect love drives out negativity, cultivate LOVE in your heart.
And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the day drawing near. Hebrews 10: 24-25
- FILL YOUR HOME WITH THE SOUND OF HYMNS. Music has the power to affect our emotions. There is something so comforting about listening to the old hymns that talk about the love God has for us, especially when we are struggling with trials of many kinds. If you have young children at home this can be a wonderful way to introduce Jesus at a young age.
Favorite Music Resources
- Seeds family worship is one of my favorite things to have playing in the background because the lyrics IS the word of God straight from the bible put to music.
- Fernando Ortega sings the old beloved hymns in beautiful arrangements.
Make a joyful noise to the Lord, all the earth; break forth into joyous song and sing praises! Psalm 98:4
- GO OUTDOORS and enjoy God’s creation. Breath in fresh air, feel the sunlight on your face, take a walk, visit a lake or if you’re lucky the ocean. It will be good for your heart and soul, and praise God for all the blessings in your life!
Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life? And why are you anxious about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these…
- PREPARE. God says to be watchful of the times and prepare for His coming. Jesus is coming back! Let’s make sure our homes are in order and we are ready for His return. Let’s not be like the five foolish virgins who slept too long and were not ready for the grooms return.
Continue in Him, so that when He appears we may be confident and unashamed before Him at His coming. 1 John 2:28
No one knows about the day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. Matthew 24:36
- TURN OFF THE NEWS AND SOCIAL MEDIA. This is something I’m still working on. Although we need to be watchful and alert of what is happening around the world and our community, too much information at once is too much for us to handle. We are constantly bombarded with news and updates from so many different places, technology has made it too easy to get instant news and I’m not sure we were made to handle so much information so quickly. Turn it off the for the majority of the day.
I hope these seven simple things help you on your journey to trusting God in times of uncertainty. I find I have to intentionally make the choice EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. to focus on things of God and good news instead of the overwhelming times we are living in.
My prayer for all of us is that the holy spirit will fill us with the spirit of truth as we put on the full armor of God found in God’s word. May He give us new strength and pure joy to face whatever comes our way.
Favorite Bible Verses
He who dwells in the shelter of the most high will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say to the Lord, “My refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.” For he will deliver you from the snare of the fowler and from the deadly pestilence.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God inChrist Jesus for you. -1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
Please share what things have helped you draw near to God’s promises in difficult times.